Retro80s-Thursday Special: Swing Out Sister

In honor of the excellent "live" concert I attended last night for Swing Out Sister @ East Coast Park, Singapore [photos on my Facebook-album] ~ this week's Retro80s-Thursday is fully-dedicated to tunes from SOS! Featuring song-selections from their It's Better To Travel (1987) and Kaleidoscope World (1989) albums :)

BREAKOUT (It's Better To Travel):

TWILIGHT WORLD (It's Better To Travel):


- Fooled By A Smile
- Surrender

WAITING GAME (Kaleidoscope World):

FOREVER BLUE (Kaleidoscope World):

WHERE IN THE WORLD (Kaleidoscope World):

THE KALEIDOSCOPE AFFAIR:

Swing Out Sister was especially memorable as I'd discover them at the tail-end of the 80s, when synth-pop had gone saccharine-commercial, and the musical-mystique of androgyny wore off it's caked-facade (having dredged itself thin thru the late-70s), then all of a sudden BREAKOUT appeared out of nowhere, and the old-world glamour of blarring horns and catwalk struts was surprisingly refreshed! No doubt with crispness heightened by the advent of Compact Discs (in my personal life lol) ~ I devoured both their It's Better To Travel and Kaleidoscope World albums and their tracks with wanton aplomb.


Ironically, the musical-freedom and quasi-rebirth I had experienced then, was experienced alone (but for my siblings ~ I attended yesterday's concert with my sister, in fact!) with zero exceptions with friends and collegues, who were by then captivated with American-pop-rock (Hard Rock Cafe table-top-dancing anyone? hahaha) and crooners of the singer-songwriter-ilk, desperately reeling from the "Pretty Woman" soundtrack, which admittedly, help guide us boys thru the rigors of military service in the army circa 89-90-ish LOL

SWING-OUT-SISTER

Near two decades later, my musical journey had suddenly come full-circle, with the live concert in Singapore (on December 16th 2009), the feeling now likened to when I first stepped out into the working world, wet behind the ears, ready to take on the world with SOS egging me on in the background. Wonderous.

You On My Mind: Live In Singapore

BREAKOUT: Live in Singapore!

Comments

PP-TRE-BANNER