Cassette Tape Collection: Strawberry Switchblade

This is not the first time I have mentioned "Strawberry Switchblade" on this blog, as well featuring their music videos. But they remain a huge part of my memory impressions of the 80s, with music genre veering towards synth-imaginary limbo-dreams of Scritti Politti, Dream Academy et al - and an opposition to the explosions of Depeche Mode et al. And who can't love the name "Strawberry Switchblade"? LOL
WHO-IS: "Strawberry Switchblade was a female pop rock band formed in Scotland in 1981 by Jill Bryson and Rose McDowall, best known for their song "Since Yesterday" in 1985." [Wiki]
STRAWBERRY=SWITCHBLADE-01
STRAWBERRY=SWITCHBLADE-02

And as well their choice of performance-wear and identity was the single most unique of that era, imbedded in my memory, which as well first introduced the concept of Lolita-wear over 2 decades ago - which now still remains as strong within the cosplay-culture, I reckon.

Music wise, "Who Knows What Life Brings" stills brings goose-pimples and a slight wondrous tear to my eye, likened to tracks like "Life In A Northern Town" (from Dream Academy). I remember this cassette very well - being the only remnant of the group I have, ironically enough I have never attempted to get the CD of - perhaps I will indeed go hunt for it soon - as this is a particular group and album I would want stay with me, for as long as I shall remember :)

STRAWBERRY=SWITCHBLADE-03

SINCE YESTERDAY:


DEEP WATER (not actual MV):


ANOTHER DAY (not actual MV):


LITTLE RIVER (not actual MV):


10 JAMES ORR STREET (not actual MV):

STRAWBERRY=SWITCHBLADE-04

LET HER GO:


WHO KNOWS WHAT LOVE IS?


GO AWAY (not actual MV):


SECRETS (not actual MV):


WHO KNOWS WHAT LOVE IS? (REPRISE) - not actual MV:


BRING COLD (not actual MV):

Here are a couple of tv-interviews from 1985 - featuring both Rose Mcdowall and Jill Bryson. Go search "Rose Mcdowall" on YouTube to see her still performing till this day. Pretty rad, I must say. Check out This Calling = a flamenco-disco version of the Blue Oyster Cult hit = Epic.


Comments

PP-TRE-BANNER