black man ray / wishful thinking by china crisis


[Black Man Ray by China Crisis]


One of the more distinctive tunes of the '80s (for me anyways) was China Crisis' BLACK MAN RAY. Besides it's mellowness - which was pretty different from the other edgy-angst-electronica during that period (IMHO) - it was the opening riff (if that be called a "riff", a music-man I am not :p) - which sounded quite like an Oriental-tune, dunnit? Which somehow reminded me of "Within You'll Remain" from Tokyo Square, and it's ilk.

The first ever song I'd heard from China Crisis was actually WISHFUL THINKING - via a mixtape I'd "ordered" from a record shop in Coronation Plaza (also my first "Magnetic Tape" LOL) - it was a random tune the fella dropped into the tape. Which worked out great for me, becoz I got to listen to and know about a new song, innit? (Of coz back then - first thought was he ripped me off my own song request list!)

"Wishful Thinking" is yet another iconic (to me) tune of the 80's - wonderful in it's delightful melody and light-hearteness (regardless of the lyrics' contents, which I never really did notice LOL). A dreamy, airy notion - very much like Dream Academy's LIFE IN A NORTHERN TOWN, I reckon. Lovely.


[Wishful Thinking by China Crisis]
"China Crisis are an English pop/rock band. They formed in 1979 in Kirkby, near Liverpool, Merseyside with a core of vocalist/keyboardist Gary Daly and guitarist Eddie Lundon. Their output was pop music similar in style to that of New Wave but with strong similarities to the post-punk movement of the early 1980s, namely inclusion of a broader range of musical influences and occasional flirtation with political commentary" [wiki]
- "Wishful Thinking" was from their album; "Working With Fire & Steel : Possible Pop Songs - Volume 2" (released in November 1983 / their 2nd album).

- "Black Man Ray" was from their album; "Flaunt the Imperfection" (circa '85 / their 3rd album).


.

Comments

PP-TRE-BANNER