[Song For Whoever by The Beautiful South / via @helentan]
Valentine's Day. V-Day in the 80s were an eclectic selection of songs promising romance, love and anything melodious enough to be serenaded or dubbed in a mixtape cassette wrapped in a bow with lurve (and lust). From the soppy tearjerker to victorious screams of love-triumphant, to the epic love-drenched emo-pop ~ songs chosen were either an introduction of intent, or an expression of our inner-most thoughts and feelings, all wrapped up in the lyrics.
Do remember "cheesy" wasn't a word used in the 80s though.
- Waiting For A Girl Like You by Foreigner ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr6p9
- Big Love by Fleetwood Mac ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr6n9
- Think I'm In Love by Eddie Money ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr6g7
- When I See Your Smile by Bad English ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr68m
- I Love You by Climax Blues Band ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr5x2
- Got A Hold On Me by Christine McVie ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr5ut
- You Owe Me Some Kind Of Love by Chris Isaak ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr5u2
- I Don't Wanna Live Without Your Love by Chicago ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr5rv
- Suddenly by Billy Ocean ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr5l4
While the notion of "love" was celebrated by most American bands and performers, the majority of their British counterparts only but babbled in it, and mayhaps celebrated the "unrequited" a little bit more? Which frankly, suited me just fine, as my lurve-life in the 80s were, shall we say, left wanting? (*sobs*) ... Not that there is much difference in this day and age ... (*man-sob*) ... but pop-angst was the way to go, methinks, for those salad days of pre-puberty cruising on the highway-fringes of adolescence, at least for me anyways haha :p
- The Look Of Love by ABC ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr5co
- Space Age Love Song by A Flock Of Seagulls ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr5a5
- Somebody by Depeche Mode ~ ♫ http://blip.fm/~kr6z9 (THE ultimate love song as far as I'm concerned!)
Well, one thing I do remember, was my first Valentine's song "dedication" to my first girlfriend, Gloria Estefan's "Words Get In The Way" (it also helped as it was the first ever concert we had attended haha :p)
Songs to jive along to, songs to slow dance to, inevitably, every chosen Valentine's song was meant to leave an impression, of a person or of the moment, sometimes deliberate, and even those special times that just ... happen, when you least expect it to ... ~ So what was YOUR most memorable Valentine's?
Happy Valentine's, Folks!
[Fall In Love With Me by Earth, Wind & Fire]